Saturday, October 04, 2008

I just don't get it

Help me here. The Civil War has been over for over 143 years. The south lost. Period. So, why do some people, and you only seem to find them on conservative forums, have the confederate flag as an avatar or as an image in their signature? I was on a well known radio talk show host's forum today and I saw one. I usually don't comment, but I have to admit it bothers me. The confederacy represents slavery. According to this particular anachronorganism, the flag represents states rights. While southerners of the civil war context may have viewed slavery as a states right, hanging your opinion of being for states rights on the symbol of the confederate flag is like wearing a swastika because you appreciate the efficiency of the German railroads during the Hitler regime. I will be clear about this: There is no right to enslave, to own, to put in to indentured servitude, to put in to peonage any human being. It is morally, ethically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally wrong. Hanging an argument of states rights on the souls of human beings is wrong too, and the fact someone doesn't get it is more than amazing or incredible, it's despicable. May be these guys are white supremacists, it wouldn't surprise me. I can't think of any other group that would defend slavery. 

Thank you for reading this blog. 

No comments:

You also might like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails